Monday, September 1, 2014

Honey Fenugreek Tea

Cold season is here again, and with it the misery of stuffy sinuses and scratchy throats.  Last year, when I was nursing and unable to take a decongestant (because I didn't want to affect my milk supply) I turned to the very reliable KellyMom website to figure out something else I could do to make it so my head didn't feel like it was going to explode, and came across the suggestion of fenugreek tea.  Since I actually had fenugreek seeds on hand, I figured I'd give it a try.  Most of the recipes I found were very simple- just water and fenugreek- but I decided to add lots of honey to help with my sore throat, ginger and cinnamon because I've been told that they're supposed to also be good for colds, and cardamom and nutmeg because I thought the flavors would go nicely. :) Because this does take a bit more time than a normal tea would, we make this in large batches and store it in a juice container in the fridge.  The end result is an herbal tea that is soothing on the throat, does actually seem to help that sinus pressure, and is equally tasty either hot or cold- even when you're not sick.

Honey Fenugreek Tea
6 cups water 
2 Tbsp fenugreek seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp cardamom seeds
grated gingerroot to taste
dash of powdered nutmeg to taste
Lots of honey (to taste.  I don't measure it at all, but I suspect I probably use at least half a cup- I put lots in because of how soothing it is on the throat)

Instructions:
Bring the water to a boil.  Meanwhile, put all the other ingredients except the ginger into a plastic sandwich bag and crush by banging with a meat mallet or rolling pin.  Add everything to the water and simmer for 5 minutes.  Turn off the heat and let sit for another 10-15 minutes (yes, this is longer than your typical herbal tea, but fenugreek seeds are evidently tough and therefore take a bit longer to brew).  Pour the tea through a mesh strainer to get out the bits of seeds and cinnamon stick and add the honey. Reheat  if you'd like it warmer, and enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment