Sunday, September 28, 2014

Crock Pot Apple Pork Chops

I've had some pork chops sitting in my freezer for a bit that I've wanted to find a good way to use up, so this week I decided to combine a couple pork chop recipes I'd seen online (particularly this one) and create a crock pot apple pork chop recipe.  I accidentally left it in for longer than I should have (my crock pot cooks hotter than most recipes anticipate) and so the apples went a bit mushy.  I also think it might have helped to have them on top of the pork instead of underneath, so I've written that into the instructions- but it even with the mushy apples, it was still tasty and it was very easy to throw together.

Ingredients:
2 lb boneless pork chops
1 onion, halved and sliced
2 apples, chopped (we used granny smith)
3/4 cup apple cider or juice
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder
Flour and margarine for gravy (instructions on how to figure out how much you want below)

Put onions into a medium sized crock pot.  Liberally sprinkle pork chops with salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder and place into crock pot.  Sprinkle apples on top.  Stir together cider, honey, and bouillon, and pour over the top.  Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4.  Serve topped with gravy.

For Gravy:
Remove the apples and pork chops from the crock pot onto a serving platter and cover to keep warm.  Measure the crock pot juices- we ended up with about 2 cups, which made a TON of gravy, so you might want to dump some out so you just have 1 cup of juices.  For each cup of liquids, you'll want 2 Tbsp margarine and 2 Tbsp flour (so, for the full 2 cups, you'll want 4 Tbsp margarine and 1/4 cup flour).  In a large saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat.  Add the flour and stir to combine, then add the juices.  Cook and stir until thickened. Season gravy with more salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment