Saturday, April 11, 2015

Honey Balsamic Roasted Beets

Growing up, I never really ate any beets- it's just not something that my mom ever made.  However, whenever we make the beet pasta recipe, we always end up with leftover beets that we don't really have anything to do with (since you can only buy beets at Walmart in bunches of 3, but the recipe only needs 1/4 cup worth).  So, since I discovered that they were actually pretty tasty on their own, I started to keep my eye out for interesting beet recipes on Pinterest.  This honey balsamic roasted beets recipe was inspired by this one on Simply Recipes.  I loved the idea of balsamic vinegar with beets, but I didn't have any orange zest on hand, and also I only had 2 beets on hand instead of 2 pounds worth.

Ingredients:
Beets
Olive oil
Honey
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400º.  While oven heats up, slice the tops off the beets, peel them, and cut into large chunks.  Place into a greased baking pan, and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil (about 1 Tbsp for 2 beets), and a rather larger amount of honey.  Sprinkle liberally with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and balsamic vinegar.  Stir around with a fork to make sure the beets are all coated with honey and spices.  Cover the pan with foil and roast for 1 hour, or until easily pierced with a fork, stirring about halfway through, and again at about 45 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment